Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Candle Sconce Makeover

I have to start out with telling you that I get too eager and forget things.....like taking pictures and not realizing that there is no flash card in the camera. Having said that....I do not have good before pictures. Just imagine 1980's glazed terracotta color with a brass candle holder thingy.

I got this shabby old thing at, you got it, Goodwill! No surprise there. It is cast metal with a brass candle holder. I must start taking pictures of my treasures when I first get home because once the vision hits there is no turning back. So here is as close to before as I could get.



As you can see I primed it and the gave it a spray of RED....squeal

Next I used black paint mixed with a little water and just brused it all over. Then used a damp microfiber cloth to remove most of the black paint.

Not enough.......One more coat of black and wipe....

Now that is the goodness that I am lookin for!
Ooops...forgot about the candle base...

Love me some ORB goodness but held it up to the sconce and it was not working....next

Flat Black...now that is right on time!
Let's put this baby together....


Better view of the color.

Pieces with mirror are my nemesis. I can't get a good shot of them. Any tips?

Linking up with:






Get your craft on Thurs.
 
 
 

13 comments:

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

That looks great!! Thanks for linking up and giving me some ideas!!

Sarah @ Hennessey House said...

wow! this is superb!
(and hey, i noticed your post on coupons below, where do you get yours?! you saved yourself a whole heap 'o money!)

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

Wow, that turned out crazy cute! I would never have thought... Great work!

Cassie Bustamante said...

that looks great! i have an old cast metal mirror i was planning to paint and am going to try that. thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Love the color, what a great makeover. And I think your pics of it with the mirror look great!!

One Cheap B*tch said...

Wow, what a makeover! When you mentioned the black paint I was like: but you just painted it red! Now I see the method to your madness! =)

Jeanine

Coloradolady said...

remember these well...yours is wonderful and the makeover really took it up to date. Have a great VTT!

Rust: Vintage Inspired Design said...

What a great job you did on this piece...it looks amazing. Happy vintage thursday!
xojanis

Jess said...

You did a great job!

CC said...

You found a great piece to do over..
it looks really pretty, I love it.
Happy VTT, have a great weekend.

Lori said...

Great job.. This turned out great!

Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday! Please join me next week for another great party!

Julie said...

Very cute! I see these things all the time at GW. Nice to see one re-made!

Rene'@bargainhoot said...

Great ideas....What a fun blog!!

xo Rene'